Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Walking with Alice - SASA Gallery


Invitation - SASA Gallery
credit: SASA Gallery Facebook page
credit: SASA Gallery Facebook page
This is a photo taken by me while visiting exhibition ''Communicating Vessels'', Colchester, UK, 2007, this piece is J. Švankmajer's Alenka/Alice. I will explain more in one of my next updates. I was allowed to take photos for educational purposes so don't even think about stealing it...

Alice by Jan Švankmajer (Něco z Alenky), found on youtube


Well, where to start? This exhibition had so much potential but it left me slightly confused... maybe it was intentional, at the end of the day it was supposed to recreate the real Alice in Wonderland's mood.
I came to the gallery, asking ''Where do I start?'' ehmm what do you mean... I was offered a nice catalogue featuring an image of Meeting with the Queen painting (I guess that was the one, none of the exhibited pieces had any description - or at least I couldn't see any) and an essay/article (?).  It didn't help me to understand how exhibited pieces are related to each other. I don't even know how many were there...?... I guess each artist supplied one. All of them were good, don't get me wrong... but I left disappointed. The description list that was supposed to provide more information contained copy/pasted mismatched text. But at the end of the day, maybe I'm the only one who noticed.

Regarding Švankmajer's work, it's a bit dark for me, a bit too fetish etc. But - I totally adore his animation style and the crazy/genius ideas he comes up with.

I have to tell you one 'secret' though. I bet you didn't know that there lives, here in Adelaide, one amazing man (and one of the most inspirational and nicest guys I know), WHO STUDIED PUPPETRY WITH ŠVANKMAJER AND EVEN WAS INVOLVED IN THE ANIMATION OF SOME OF HIS EARLY WORKS?????? He lives in Adelaide, how amazing is that ha?

Can you imagine how different this exhibition could be if more research was done?

No comments:

Post a Comment